Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Broadcast News

Debut: 1987
Director: James L. Brooks
Starring: Holly Hunter

I hate to put it like this, but having taken journalism classes, they made Holly Hunter seem like a fighter for all we're supposed to believe in.

Hunter plays the managing editor of a major network's nightly news feature. She ends up having a fling (falling in love, I guess) with her co-worker and fights to keep the news an honest profession.

I seriously felt like this could have been written based on a college student before they enter the news world. I, for one, am a huge critic of the news but at the same time take classes in the Jschool at Drake, so it's kind of an interesting balance that most probably don't believe or understand. But I suppose we all go into journalism with this mind that we're going to keep it honest and just tell the story, when the reality is that many journalists lose those values along the way. I really enjoyed this movie for those reasons.

I wasn't crazy about the ending - she totally should have ended up with Aaron, duh, but aside from that, it was a pretty decent flick.

No comments: