Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints

Debut: 2006
Director: Dito Montiel
Based on the book "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints" by Dito Montiel
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Shia Labeouf, Diane West, Rosario Dawson

Loved it! I don't watch too many dramas (maybe I do) but this was a random movie I picked out, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story is about a young boy whose friends get in trouble with drugs and crime, and Dito (the main character) makes it out not only alive, not only out of prison, but goes on to write a book about his experiences.

The movie is centered around Dito's visit home some 15 years after the original story (set in 1986) takes place. Dito travels home to visit his ailing father, and realizes that these friends (his "saints") are what led him to where he is now.

I thought the acting was great, and I love even more that the title character is the guy who wrote and directed the film. Best yet... the end quote: "In the end I realized - just like I said - I had left everything, and everyone. But no one, no one has ever left me."

No comments: