Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Mommie Dearest

Debut: 1981
Director: Frank Perry
Based on the book "Mommie Dearest" by Christina Crawford
Starring: Faye Dunaway

I had heard on VH1 that this movie was creepy, and it definitely is, but not in any horror-movie kind of way. Mommie Dearest is the saga of Joan Crawford, set in the 1940s. Crawford, unhappy with living only with her housekeeper and maid, pays a pretty price to adopt a child, and later others. Christina, the first, shows the appalling abuse endured in the Crawford household from toddler until teenage years.

I thought Faye Dunaway was excellent, albeit a little over the top. I wish I would have known more about the movie going into it, because much of the portrayal is believable.

It's hard to come up with a conclusion to this film, so I won't. Watch for yourself and decide.

No comments: