Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Incredible Hulk

Debut: 2008
Director: Louis Leterrier
Starring: Edward Norton, Liv Tyler, William Hurt, Tim Roth

First off, I'm going to say that I'm extremely annoyed that so many reviews are comparing it to the 2003 Hulk. Everyone knows that the 03 Hulk was awful, and that Marvel is blatantly ignoring that said version was ever made.
So, anyone reviewing this movie needs to play on what it needs to exist now. I'm going to go ahead and lay out my expectations for you. I thought that this movie would, similar to Iron Man, lay out Banner's story and build up to the Avengers movie. I was extremely disappointed that it accomplished neither.
Firstly, we get the Hulk's story through the opening credits - an accident gone wrong and all that. I don't have a huge beef with this, but it's only too smart to put the story in there for anyone who isn't a comic book fan, such as myself. The best comic book movies are the ones anyone can watch. Hulk failed miserably to explain the complexities of having this blessing/curse, and really seemed to only focus on this idea that the only facet of his life it greatly affected was his love life. P.S. - Hulk creators - did you learn anything from Spiderman 2? People don't want a love story when they're expecting a comic book movie.
Aside from the love story being the main point, I just thought the characters weren't likable enough. Bruce Banner was actually extremely boring, and I had read some reviews that commented on "playful banter between he and Betty Ross", which was completely flat. I just didn't see any chemistry between the two, and nothing about it was witty and entertaining when an action scene wasn't going on.
Next, whose decision was it to make the Hulk animated? Seeing it played out, I would opted for a costume. It was too animated - I know what they can do with graphics and all, but the whole time I found it so hard to believe the interaction between live characters and the animated Hulk. I had an extremely hard time getting past all of that.
Overall, I would say Marvel definitely should have opted to released this before Iron Man. Most of the movie, I found myself noting where and how Hulk fell short of Iron Man. Edward Norton, as much as I love him, did not give us much interest in Banner. I have to say that Tim Roth's character was hands down the most entertaining and interesting.
Finally, I'm going to say that I really expected this to lead up to the Avengers movie we are all anticipating. I am left wondering how Banner was against the Army, Stark works with the Army, and they haven't really made it clear how they are going to work together. I understand Banner ended up fighting for the Army at the end and all, you don't need to go on, but it's clear that some bitterness on his part should, by all means, exist and that he does not give them his full support. I'm having a hard time figuring out where it's going to go from here.
Nonetheless, the thing that really disappoints is how on Earth are they going to make a sequel? There wasn't much of a story in this one in the first place, and I have no interest in them creating another awesome villain just to be destroyed.
They have some catching up to do, but I would say this is about what I expected.
Don't waste your money for the time being.

No comments: