Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Singing Detective

Debut: 2003
Director: Keith Gordon
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Robin Wright Penn, Mel Gibson

I watched this baby with an extremely open mind, and I couldn't help but feel it would be way above a lot of people's heads. I think the audience for this one would have to be pretty narrow - and I don't ever mean that in a bad way, and in no way is that a bad thing.

The main character, Dan Dark (Downey), is hospitalized while suffering from an extreme case of psoriasis. During his stay, he often hallucinates and dreams of the characters in his book and a few random musical numbers as well.

He begins to suspect that his significant other (Penn) is stealing his work and selling it to a movie production company. I think. I had a hard time understand bits and pieces (then again I was writing while watching it, so I might have missed some things...) but it's a story of the unconscious mind and Freud, and all that which helps him come to believe so many of the things that make him not only who he is, but the meaning behind his novel and many of his hallucinations.

I did think the acting was terrific. It actually took me quite a while to recognize Mel Gibson as the shrink - so good job there. Downey, as usual, was extremely witty, delivering jokes without acting like they are jokes, and Penn had a certain sincerity that added more and more to her character.

I'm going to go ahead and say this movie isn't for everyone. If you only see mainstream movies, this might not be for you. If you like more obscure films, maybe something that takes some thinking, go for it.

No comments: