Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sex and the City

Debut: 2008
Director: Michael Patrick King
Based on the HBO TV Series "Sex and the City"
Book: "Sex and the City" by Candace Bushnell
Starring: Sarah Jessica Parker, Kristin Davis, Cynthia Nixon, Kim Cattrall

I have heard so many mixed reviews of this, I don't stand a chance of everyone agreeing. I will start out by saying that I loved it - it made me cry like three times, and I think anyone who is an avid fan will love it (hopefully...) as well.
First off, we all know some of the major points. Charlotte finally gets pregnant, Carrie's supposed to get married to Big and it doesn't work out, Steve cheats on Miranda (that definitely was like a dagger straight to the heart!), but I think the movie purposely tugs at your heart. The ups and downs are not that far from real life, no matter how dramatized. We've all been heartbroken before, and we've all experienced joy that nearly brings us to tears at sometime or another. This is what the movie is all about.
Whether you feel for them or not, I always believed the best part of Sex and the City was creating these characters that (while affording untold amounts of shoes) are flawed just like us. Shows are so often created so that fans form alliances one way or another, but Sex and the City is great because someone is always screwing up. That's what I love about it!
I'm not going to spoil the ending if you haven't seen it, and I feel pretty indifferent on the situation, but I will say that the thing I love most about the movie is based on that quote a few seasons ago where Carrie talks about wanting to find someone who will love you no matter what... and that she was lucky enough to find four.

No comments: