Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Shining

Debut: 1980
Director: Stanley Kubrick
Book: "The Shining" by Stephen King
Starring: Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, Danny Lloyd



For being a horror movie fanatic, I had never seen this movie. Please don't make fun of me.
What prompted me to put it in my Blockbuster queue was the fact it's based on somewhat of a true story. For any of you who watch Ghost Hunters, they did an episode at the hotel where Stephen King stayed at, which inspired him to write the book. Supposedly, King had things happen while he was there, and hence the Shining came out.
I think going into that movie with this knowledge made it a BILLION times more scary for me. That and ghosts are the only thing that really scare me in movies, and that could just be because I've had experiences of my own.
Like many (from what I've heard) those twins were scary as hell. That, and I've been leaving my shower curtain open for fear there will be some disgusting lady in there. Yuck.
My end result, though, is that I can completely understand why this movie is so monumental. I would say a remake could possibly make it better, but we all know how remakes have gone... not so good for the most part.
I think horror movie directors, actors, etc. could learn so much from this movie. A) Little kids are always creepy. B) What could happen in isolation is terrifying to most. And lastly, leave plenty to the imagination. The Shining seems to accomplish all of this.

No comments: