Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ghost World

Debut: 2001
Director: Terry Zwigoff
Based on the graphic novel "Ghost World" by Daniel Clowes
Starring: Scarlett Johansen, Thora Birch, Steve Buschemi, Brad Renfro

I actually was really into this movie. I had to read the "graphic novel" in an English class last year, and was kind of into the book, but I really really liked the movie.

Straight up, Ghost World has no true point to it. It's not making any kind of commentary about society or any bull like that. It's simply about two girls - Enid and Becca - who are BFF's and it sort of just follows them through the post-graduation summer.

Enter Buschemi's character, Seymour, who is kind of a middle-aged geek who listens to old records. Seymour and Enid (Birch) end up being pretty good friends, and I HATE relating to characters, but I'm the kind of person who has had best friends who I should not be best friends with.

I'm going to be letting you know all about Fargo in a minute, but I have to say, Steve Buschemi is some kind of wonderful in this movie. You almost get a crush on him (crazy, I know, right?) He is so likable, and you're not really creeped out by the time him and Birch's character get together.

I liked the acting quite a bit, and I actually think the movie made the story a little less boring than the comic book (oops, graphic novel). They added in some bits and pieces and subtracted others, and all in all, it was pretty all right.

No comments: